Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day for a Conservative

LOS ANGELES, CA - JANUARY 29:  United Teachers...Image by Getty Images via @daylife
Happy Monday! I hope you are enjoying your day off. 

Today, if I am not mistaken, is supposed to be a day for labor to celebrate its' victories and the American laborer. I belong to a union because I work in a profession where you must be. I belong to a Teacher's Union. The members of a teachers' union are a little different than say dock workers or construction workers, not quite as visually intimidating. But, on Tuesdays we like to wear red to show our solidarity.

I do find my union helpful during elections. I find that if my union supports a candidate, measure, bond, or bill I should vote opposite of whoever and whatever the union recommends. (If you haven't figured out I'm not a leftist liberal, now you know.)

My union takes dues from me on a monthly basis; $57.42. The funds are used to pay for the building, the staff, lawyers, and the monthly newsletter. Donations are made to other political groups which are supposed to be our allies. I have never seen or heard of any of these "allies" when we are negotiating a new contract or attempting to push through some educational reform. I have asked why we give money to gay and lesbian groups? I am told they are our allies politically. Never seen them except across the hall teaching. 

Anyways, what is the point of labor unions? If they don't learn to work with the company's their members work for they are only power hungry money mongers. 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment