Monday, April 11, 2011

What are you going to do about the problem I created?

Strategy for solving Apollonius' problem by sc...Image via Wikipedia
Well Happy Monday to you all.

How people react to crisis or problems, to me, shows a lot about who they really are. There are those who go face the problem, those who run away from the problem, and then there are those who throw someone else at the problem. 

How does this relate to me (and maybe you)? Glad you asked. First of all at work I am amazed at how people keep trying methods that have been unsuccessful. As I have said before I work at a good sized Middle School. One of my duties is to deal with students who have behavior issues, discipline. I have never been a strong proponent of the "hold 'em and scold 'em" approach. That is where the teacher sends the student to the administrator or dean and the students is severely punished, returned to the classroom never to misbehave again. Not since corporal punishment has been removed has that been effective. At my school the AP over discipline developed a plan which he call a WIP (Work In Progress), which we have never worked on. It is not a bad plan, it just needed progressive work. Anyways, when I suggested that we needed to work on it because of a growing number of behavior issues and his response was to add another layer of detentions, without discussion from those who are attempting to deal with the students. More hold 'em and scold 'em. 

Now, in government I see my President, Governor, Congressmen and Representatives response to the current budget crisis.  Medicare and the entitlement programs are eating themselves alive. Benefits can't keep up with cost of living because the cost to run the programs just morphs into uncontrolled spending. So, the suggestions by my top leaders is to borrow more money and ask the people to pay more taxes. So, the leaderships pathway is to lower my standard of living by taking more money out of my pocket to run government programs that are mismanaged and only cost more to run. 


So, my leadership at work wants to avoid proximity (sometimes just visible discourages foolishness) by adding discipline which is a misshapen band-aid at best and my government leadership wants to thrown (borrowed) money rather than make real choices. 

Lord, help us....
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment