Monday, April 18, 2011

Sometimes Making Time is the Only Way to Spend Time

Gray whale - Eschrichtius robustus - at Scammo...Image via Wikipedia
Yesterday, I went on a hike with my son and his Cub Scout Pack on the Ocean Trails at Trump National Golf Course. The weather was just right for a nice hike and the sites were awesome. As we arrived at the shore line after hiking down the trail a Pacific Gray Whale was cruising around the bay not 100 yards from shore! I told my son to watch the whale and he said, "I saw it. Cool." and proceeded  (with the rest of the boys) to throw rocks into the oncoming waves and run from them as they chased the boys from the shore line. 

The boys also spotted a dead seal, several critters in the tide pools, a lizard or two, rabbits, birds and the guide point out the fauna. Then when we got to the end of the hike the boys played tag and hide and go seek at the park. Myself and the other parents just relaxed and watch the kids enjoy themselves. 

Here is the point. As parents we all try to spend time (quantitative and qualitative) with our children, but, sometimes unless we plan the time and make the time we don't always get to have that time with our children. So, I find it really cool to be able to spend time with my son doing something he will enjoy and remember without the high stress or cost. I scheduled the event months ago and put it on the Packs calendar. If I would not of done that we probably would of just sat at home.

Often, we as parents, make sure our children are involved in sports and other activities, which is good. What I am thankful for about the Cub Scout is that family is part of the program.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment