Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thanks for Volunteering, You're the New...

The Cub Scout SignImage via Wikipedia
A funny thing happened on the way to enjoying my son's Cub Scout Meeting, I became a Den Leader and the CubMaster. This is now the third year in scouting for my son and I. I have met some great people and....some other people as well. 

When we first started the Den leader for my son was insistent that she run the show. After a few months, I remember standing in front of the scout house with my friend and his son wondering if it was the right night. As things go, we ended up doing what we needed to do to get our boys their badges and tried to have some fun. We were told we were co-leaders and needed to get trained.

The next year at the first pack meeting I was saying my hello's when the leader greeted me with a hearty, "Great to have you back! You're the new Cub Master. All you have to do is..." It turns out the Cub Master is sort of the master of ceremonies and since one of my alter-egos is a game show host it is not a bad fit. Plus, I got to wear one of those cool shirts with a Cub Master patch on it.

This year the Committee Chair, who really runs the pack, texted me just a few hours before the first meeting with a message that pretty much said he was bailing. Which, in the end may turn out to be a blessing because he was ALL talk with just a smidgen of action. We have since pulled ourselves together and are putting together what hopes to be a great year for our sons. I myself am learning the art of "Welcome back, you're the new...." 

No comments:

Post a Comment