Monday, August 8, 2011

OK Professor Hawking...Are You Sure There Is No God?

Simulated view of a black hole in front of the...Image via Wikipedia
Last night my family and I watched the Discovery Chanel's latest program Curiosity. The first show's  title was, "Is There a Creator?" with Professor Stephen Hawkins.  I had read  Professor Hawking's book A Brief History of Time years ago so I guessed he would end up at black holes. I was mostly curious how his ideas had evolved since he wrote that book. Not much, apparently. 

I have some black hole sized problems with Prof. Hawkins theories. First of all as a theoretical physicist his idea are theories. Proving that a mathematical formula is possible is different than demonstrating a theory to be true by a repeatable experiment. The existence of black holes does not ipso facto  imply they are self existent infinite entities and therefore there is no need for God.

Second, I am curious where Prof. Hawking believes "the laws of nature" derived their axiomatic unchanging consistency from. The laws of nature, as referred to by Prof. Hawkins, sounded pretty much like a god to me. How did they come about? Hawking seems to just assume that the laws of nature  eternally exist by themselves. 

Lastly, Professor Hawking referred to time as if time was a constant. Does all of science see time as a constant? I don't think so. Prof. Hawking referred to time as being outside of black-holes so therefore no need for God because God must exist in time. That is not the same god I find in the Bible. Genesis chapter 1 says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." "Let there be light." "And there was evening, and there was morning - the first day." The Bible describes God as the Creator outside of matter, energy and time. That is why Christians worship God as eternal, outside of time. Now, if Prof. Hawking chooses to not believe in the God of the Bible that is his choice. But, please, Professor, don't assume that you understand him.

I am curious what other people thought of what Professor Hawking assumed. What did you think?


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment